Thursday, September 18, 2008

music lessons: consonance and dissonance

A quiet realization of awareness in an accidental meeting. I thought I recognised in you an all too familiar combination of vulnerability and recalcitrance.
"Consonance and Dissonance."


First to connect, to touch: too soon, too much. Anguish and anxiety within my comprehension, an intellect beyond my reach. Jarring words (my inharmonious nature always gets the better of me, you know). A shameful passivity in passing - I have always been a procrastinator. I reeled myself in.
"...dissonant chords are 'active'; traditionally they have been considered harsh and have expressed pain, grief, and conflict."*

A slow unravelling. Stockholm syndrome, with just a smidgen of Stendhal to keep my imabalance balanced. Authentication elusive. Trying to catch squid with oven mitts on.
"An unstable tone combination is a dissonance; its tension demands an onward motion to a stable chord."*


Onward motion, indeed. Time to put this to bed now, need a soothing lullaby to help me sleep. Not yours. Anyone's but yours. It's not that I don't want to - just don't have the heart for it.
"A stable tone combination is a consonance; consonances are points of arrival, rest, and resolution."*

*Roger Kamien (2008)

No comments: